Who Do You Write For?

Writing a blog is a very interesting endeavor. Everything from the subject matter to the descriptive writing comes from within and you can usually get to know any given individual after reading his or her blog for a while. It's intriguing how certain blogs cater towards specific audiences as, collectively, we write not only for ourselves but for you, the reader. Bloggers share varying degrees of their persona; some choosing to hide behind the mask of anonymity while others divulge even the most intimate of details. Still others fall in between the two sometimes showcasing great amounts of personal flair while safely hiding behind a moniker not their own.

This had me wondering...where do you fall and who do you write for? Do you write your blog for your own catharsis or are you blatantly marketing yourself to the general public? I suppose some of you are neither and elicit curiosity with tales of your own reality called life. Wherever you fall do you ever long to be on the other side of the spectrum? I have sometimes wondered how much freer I'd write if not so many knew of my identity, however, I'm happy straddling the thin line between selfless expression and cautious candor.

How about you?

10 tell it like it is:

Diane Mandy :

In the beginning I started my blog after divorce, so I wrote because it was cheaper than therapy. Now I am not so sure why I write, to be honest. I think it's more for the social aspects blogging brings. One thing is for sure, I am happy I kept my blog world and my real world separate. It's easier to be completely myself. Which I guess takes me back to the first point, doesn't it?

Classy in Philadelphia :

I wrote a similar post last week! :)

http://classyinphilly.blogspot.com/2009/02/why-i-write.html

Mandy :

I've written about this too http://www.knowingthedifference.com/2008/09/why-i-write.html

I blog semi-anonymously, I love it because I am free to write what I feel without censoring myself. Sometimes I wish some of my friends could read what I've written but its very hard to know people inner most thoughts sometimes.

Britt :

I think I blog mostly anonymously. Generally I do that to protect the people in my life rather than me. I started blogging when I didn't tell anyone I did it. It was an online journal type thing and I never commented on anyone else's blogs for fear they'd read mine and think it was bad. I'm over that now, but I think I still try to write mostly for my own memory purposes.

:)

Amber :

I blog anonymously from "real-life" friends. I don't mind if my friends find my blog, and most of them do know about it. I just would rather not know if they read it. I worry that I would begin to censor my feelings or opinions, so I can't imagine doing it any other way.
I write mainly for myself and for the sense of belonging I feel to this blogging community. Everyone is so support and it warms my heart when I get a new reader and they leave a sweet comment. It's such a good feeling!

Tee aka The Diva's Thoughts :

I did this exact same post sometime last year Who Do You Blog For?. I started out blogging strictly for myself by now I do it for the readers to be honest. I just evolved and I'm not sure how it happened.

Kristen :

interesting question. I do it for myself and for the people that find my blog, I guess.

goldensparks :

Hi Friend.. Interesting post.. Do visit my blog and post your comments.. Take care mate.. Cheers!!!

SoMi's Nilsa :

Writing has always been a creative and cathartic outlet for me. Blogging is my writing outlet. I blog for myself AND for the interactions I have with other bloggers (through comments on my blog AND reading/commenting on their blogs). It's the community feeling I think I like the most.

TC :

I started out writing for myself.

Now, I must confess I write mostly for my readers. Why? Because on the rare occassion that I write just for myself, my readers don't seem to like what I've had to say. That doesn't mean I don't still do it, but I have to really feel compelled to tell a story to write JUST for myself.