Baby Got Back....

In a world where thin is chic it's taken me a little time to make peace with my body. I will even go a step further to say I am learning to embrace the curves I once cursed as no matter how much I workout, slim down and watch what I eat one fact remains; I gots de junk in de trunk.

Yes, tis true that I've got a booty Sir Mix-A-Lot would be proud to bring home to Mama and while that actuality would have once made me insecure it now makes me proud. Now let me preface this by saying I am still very much a work in progress as I work with a trainer twice a week and watch what I eat, however, I know enough to know that regardless of my weight I will always be blessed with an ample ass.

But trust me when I tell you that enlightenment didn't come easy....

I've mentioned before that my glory days were not in my youth. I was always going to battle over my weight as while I wasn't ever inordinately overweight I was just heavy enough to warrant concern from my parents and chastising from my peers. I suppose the years of self analysis by way of appearance took their toll as I was hospitalized with anorexia at age 19 and it wasn't until I made a cognizant effort to learn love myself that I began to heal both physically and emotionally. Funny thing was that even at my lowest weight I always possessed a rather feminine figure. Honing in on the heroin chic look was not to be realized.

Suffice to say Kate Moss's job was safe...

So here I am all these years later still rather myopic on the topic of weight BUT with an edge of reason as opposed to insanity. I am more focused on being healthy then waify and I like the fact that in these past few months with a trainer I've become not only more toned but a lot stronger.

It's serendipitous that this epiphany of self acceptance comes just a few days shy of my fortieth birthday. After all, what better time to embrace who I am then on the precipice of reaching such a huge milestone? Now this is not to say I don't have my normal everyday insecurities. Oh no. I'm still chalk full of neurosis. I just deal with them differently and have made a cognizant effort to leave certain ones behind. I really don't have the desire to spend my next forty obsessing over things I can't change. Been there. Done that.

So if you'll excuse me I'm off to see if J.Lo needs a butt double....

8 tell it like it is:

TC :

I have never hated a song the way I hate that one. Man... he should be flogged, lol.

Self-acceptance is hard. I'll let you know if I ever manage it myself.

rubytuesdays :

Its so great that you're accepting, and learning to be happy, with your body and who you are...I'm sorry that your road there has been a difficult one. Happy birthday princess!

Britt :

I always used to wish for a bigger butt. I've got pretty much no butt whatsoever. Actually, for my 16th birthday some (very nice) friends of mine bought me butt padded underwear. Oy.

Self acceptance is a journey...lol. one day at a time I tell myself. :)

Ryane :

Oh I completely agree with you about making peace with yourself and enjoying what you got! And, happy birthday! I don't know when the day is, but I hope it's fantastic. =-)

LiLu :

Curves are where it's at, love. Embrace it!

Kristen :

good for you :)

Tee aka The Diva's Thoughts :

LOL!!! Good for you girlie!! Embrace those curves.

La Petite Chic :

The grass is always greener on the other side, right? I would love a little extra junk in my trunk. :)