I Wanna Talk To You...But I Don't

My sister just revealed to me either the most idiotic or ingenious concept ever - the jury's still out on this one. Pacific Bell has a calling system that allows you to call someone and go right to their voice mail without fear of them picking up the phone. You, like me, may ask why such a system is necessary. After all, you call someone to talk , right? Wrong. Apparently (and I am guilty of this...) many people return calls out of obligation and have no desire to talk to anyone but would rather leave a message. So much is this a normalcy that this system came to fruition. But trust me when I say that a panacea it is not.

Case in point...

My sister needed to return several phone calls but really didn't want to talk to anyone so, knowing about this calling feature, she decided to utilize it. Thing is, she OVER used it with regard to one woman who, also knowing about this calling feature, put two and two together and was ultimately offended. Truth is I'd be offended too is someone blatantly went out of their way to avoid me. Hence, I can't decide if this is really conducive to what people need or not. Deceit isn't excactly a characteristic we need to proliferate.

What say you?

9 tell it like it is:

michelle :

we have a similar thing with bell/aliant ... i have always called it "ghost in the machine". i use it in some instances ... because i am, in my soul, very antisocial and would rather leave a message than talk to an actual person.

Tee aka The Diva's Thoughts :

I can see where it can be very useful because there are times when I do return calls out of obligation and pray that the other person doesn't pick up the phone when I call but I can also see how it can become a crutch....overused.

Hmmmm....I'm not sure how I feel about this feature to tell you the truth.

Britt :

Meh, I say if you don't want to talk, don't phone! Send an email if you want to leave a message instead :)

Just Moi :

I'm going to say you're allowed to use this only 3 times per person per return call. This way, it's not too obvious and you're limited so you have to choose which return call you want to block.. or not.

Frank :

Hmmmm...the only time I'd consider using such a feature would be if I was leaving a message to an ex girlfriend. It would be much simpler for me to leave a message saying "Come get the stuff you left at my place" rather than have her pick up and go through an awkward conversation.

Season :

Very interesting... I have not heard of this. I can see both sides of this. I'm not sure how I feel about it... I'm going to think it over.

Princess Pointful :

I think I can understand the reasons for it, but the idea of avoiding actual human contact frightens me a little. After all, now people email from the other room rather than knock on the door!!

TC :

I'm pretty sure my parents would catch on quickly to my using this...

eva :

If some acquaintance has my number and leaves an unwanted and unsolicited message, why should I be forced to return that call?

After the second or third time or receiving a message, I have left a return message, through this system. My "umwanted" caller does not have email so that wasn't an option.

People phone when it's a convenient time for them. Not everyone who calls me is someone I choose to have a conversation with....I can't understand why this option even warrants a discussion. Clearly, you won't use it and that's fine. If you "catch on" that someone is doing this to you...get the hint that they receive your voicemails, but have no interest in wasting time conversing with you.

What's the harm?