Tysabri Blues

It was a Tysabri weekend for me.

What's that you may wonder?

Well, a Tysabri weekend consists of all the joys of the flu as the side effects of the drug mimic flu-like symptoms.

But let me back up.

My first infusion with the port was Thursday and all went well. The port was accessed easily and the infusion, other than the migraine, couldn't have gone better.

Jump to Friday.

I erroneously thought I had come out of the infusion unscathed other than the typical migraine I had had prior with my first infusion in January.

Ummm, yeah. I was wrong.

The unrelenting nausea began Friday afternoon accompanied by vomiting, dizziness, weakness and other fun side effects. Scared, I called my doctor only to be told these are expected symptoms and that I'd just have to ride them out. I don't mind what they said I only mind I wasn't better prepared for the onslaught.

Trust me, next month will be different because I will have an arsenal to help me through. I will have anti-nausea meds, saltines and 7 Up, ensure and movies galore to pass the time. I am almost ashamed to admit I became addicted to all things, BRAVO, as their programming, while crude and oh so dramatic, makes me smile.

The only silver lining in all of this? I am losing copious amounts of weight! Not exactly the diet of choice, however, I always have to find a positive in everything that happens so, so be it.

It's now Monday and I am coming out the other side. I have such respect for anyone enduring these treatments as they are not easy. My only hope is that it s attacking the MS as voraciously as it is myself.

One can hope.

0 tell it like it is: