The Warrior Within

I need a new drug.

Any of you old enough to remember Huey Lewis will know I'm being halfway facetious and half serious. The half serious side dominates, however, as the side effects of the Tysabri are ferocious. As well, I am having a difficult time differentiating among the side effects and those aches and pains related to plain old Multiple Sclerosis.

Multiple Sclerosis.

Even now when I say it, it sometimes seems like I'm speaking of someone else. It's sometimes daunting to realize the person I'm speaking of is me. But it is. And I'm determined not to be a wallflower about it. I have MS, and while it's not my identity it IS a large part of who I am so I want to put that large part to good use.

This is not to say I'm not scared. Because I am. Every day. 365 days a year. But I'm a fighter and when fighters look fear in the face they stare it down. So each day that I wake with new symptoms or the days I find I can't make it up the stairs without a death grip on the banister I just embrace the symptom or grab that banister and fight. I could go on a diatribe about the myriad of symptoms I'm currently tackling but I'll save that for another post, I just wanted to let all of you know that I intend, even on the days I wake in tears, to be a warrior against MS.

This Saturday I am putting my words into action and doing Walk MS and I have to say I am a ball of nervous excitement. I have almost raised 1000.00 and am going to walk those few miles with a sense of pride never before felt. For those few miles represent the road of life and each step is but a moment in my lifetime journey with this disease. I intend to walk with faith, hope and determination that one day soon we will eradicate MS.

WIsh me luck!

0 tell it like it is: