Sounds of the Soul

People often ask me how I maintain such a positive attitude. While I go could into a litany of spiritual and cognitive practices I can easily answer that question with one word today; music.

As I type I am listening to Christina Perri's, "Arms", as it reminds me of someone special. Depending on my mood I will match it to any of the over 100 play lists on my ipod and lapse into sort of musical coma. I venture to a time and place reserved only for me and relish memories, thoughts and emotions not so easily accessed without the sounds and harmonies. Once enveloped, I can be lost for hours, only to come to by the shrill of a phone call or alarm.

I believe my love of all things music began at a early age as my parents either had me involved with an instrument or played music throughout the house. My Mom was quite proficient at both the guitar and piano and we'd often sit and sing folk songs while she played. I began piano lessons at 5 and played in recitals throughout my adolescence. Yes, there were days when I didn't want to practice but all in all I am very grateful I stayed with it.

If I were on a deserted island I think I'd be okay without the everyday provisions but without music I'd be certifiable. Music is the story of my soul, the very reason I smile, cry, laugh and listen. I get lost in lyrics and melodies as they take me to a place and time only I can savor. And savor I do. I find myself listening to music hours on end without so much as a desire for television.

Unlike so many other things out there today, music is a 'healthy' addiction of sorts. I wish more kids would take up an instrument or listen attentively to the music of yesteryear as there was so much more to a song then techno-lyrically-challenged sounds that are all too prevalent today.

Do I sound old? Good. When it comes to music appreciation I'll be old-school any day.

1 tell it like it is:

Chris H :

I too love music... and nothing makes me happier than sitting in a nice chair listening to music... or driving along the road, window down and music really loud pumping out the speakers!